World Bank Young Professionals Program 2018-2019: Overview
Do you have a passion for international development ? Do you dream about working for the World Bank Group? The World Bank Young Professionals Program (better known as the World Bank YPP) is the Bank’s most important and prestigious selection process and professional development program.
The World Bank YPP selects highly qualified and motivated people around the world to work in the Bank’s various areas of activity (the environment, engineering, finance, public health, education, economics, urban planning, agriculture, social sciences and natural resources, among others), both in technical and managerial positions
The World Bank YPP is a highly competitive selection process. Approximately 6,000 people apply every year for the World Bank YPP but only around 45 are recruited.
Some of the minimum criteria for the program are: citizenship of a World Bank Group member country; maximum age limit of 32; being fluent in English; holding a Master’s or Doctorate (PhD) degree and relevant work experience.
The World Bank YPP comprises four rounds:
- The first round involves completing the online WB YPP program application form and also sending documents through the World Bank YPP system. The selection team carries out the initial process to check whether the candidates fully meet the minimum eligibility requirements and select those who will take part in the second round.
- If approved for the second round, the candidate should send a copy of their passport and three letters of recommendation. These documents, along with those sent in the first round, will be submitted to a technical review, carried out by specialists in the candidates’ areas of expertise.
- The third round is a face-to-face selection stage and involves an assessment center and individual interview. At this stage, the WB YPP team undertakes an in-depth analysis of the candidates’ technical abilities and behavior.
- The fourth round is the final stage of the selection process. In this phase, the candidates who were selected in the previous round (usually about 60) are referred for review by the vice-presidents who then make the final selection by matching the Bank’s current needs with the different candidate profiles.
When selected, the young professional in the program joins a cohort which takes part in a comprehensive, two-year talent development program, which includes professional experience, trips, training and mentoring and coaching programs. The World Bank YPP experience will be a distinctive feature in your curriculum, which may facilitate your future career inside or outside the UN System.
The young professionals are assigned to the World Bank Group’s technical and operations units, at the World Bank’s head office in Washington D.C. (USA).
The following are offered to them:
- a five-year renewable term contract
- an annual net salary that ranges from US$82,000.00 to US$150,800.00 (depending on the employee’s professional experience, academic qualifications, skills and technical knowledge)
- benefits which total US$ 58,865.00 per year (including medical, life and invalidity insurance; severance benefits and other non-salary benefits).