The minimum requirements to be a World Bank YPP 2021-2022 candidate are as follows:
- Individuals from any country can apply. However, the WBG gives preference to nationals from its member countries or countries of operations;
- Be born on or after October 1, 1988;
- Holding a Doctorate (PhD), Master’s (MSc), MA, MBA (or equivalent) qualification with relevant work experience (these specifications vary according to each institution. Click for more details);
- Fluency in English;
- A minimum of three years’ relevant professional experience in fields related to development or continued academic study at doctorate level for World Bank placement;
- At least four years’ relevant professional experience for IFC & MIGA placement;
- Specialization in a field relevant to the World Bank, IFC or MIGA technical/operations areas, such as economics, law, finance, education, public health, social sciences, engineering, urban planning, infrastructure, public-private partnerships, agriculture and natural resources, risk management and insurances among others.
- The WB YPP does not hire Young Professionals for back-office functions such as Accounting, Information Technology, Communications and Human Resources
In pursuit of its mission, the OpenIGO network has prepared a comprehensive eBook and support and guidance services with the aim of highly increasing your chances of success in this competitive process.
Our comprehensive eBook will introduce you to the complex world of the World Bank Group and its approach towards international development; it will teach you how to prepare each of the documents required in detail, and will also get you ready for the interview and assessment center. This eBook was written and revised by a team of professors, human resources specialists and former young professionals with a great deal of diligence.
In addition, we have developed support and guidance services. These services include reviewing your WB YPP application documents (essay, curriculum vitae and thesis/dissertation short summaries) and a mock interview as per the World Bank YPP model. Access:
This article is only a small sample of the extensive content present in our excellent ebook.
The majority of candidates usually exceed the minimum eligibility requirements. Therefore, it is important to observe that additional qualifications are also desirable in order to excel in the selection process and meet the World Bank YPP’s minimum requirements, such as:
- Showing a commitment and passion for international development;
- Having excellent academic credentials;
- Having experience with international development in developing countries;
- Having professional experience, with broad and in-depth technical knowledge;
- Being motivated to relocate and take on assignments in other countries;
- Total proficiency in one or more of WBG’s working languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- Presenting excellent engagement with clients, team leadership and communication skills;
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Strong analytical and credit assessment skills, as well as solid understanding of accounting and financial statement analysis;
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends, sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills;
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Holistic approach to risk management; scenario building and resource prioritization skills.