The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets high potential, best-in-class young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development. This program is not an internship arrangement; rather it offers exceptional career opportunities to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement to make a difference to the development of the African continent. The YPP includes a rigorous program of activities including a learning Academy that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
- The Program is for a period of three years; the first two years will be spent on mandatory rotational placements across the Bank’s various functions. The third-year rotation year will be spent in the Home Complex where the YP will graduate into a staff position. Only YPs who have completed the YP Academy and have exhibited high performance and high potential will be integrated into the Bank’s workforce.
- The Professional and Personal Development Program is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy with specific learning interventions delivered in phases of 6 months each. These learning interventions serve to deepen technical knowledge and build leadership skills required for effective delivery of task functions and future roles in the Bank. The Learning academy also includes on – the job training that requires immersion into various functional areas of the Bank for hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments.
- On-boarding and orientation programs ensure faster integration into the Bank’s culture and offers a robust support mechanism from mentors, coaches and buddy groups.
- Individual performance and potential will be reviewed periodically, and the necessary personal development plans customized to individual needs.
What are the fields of study and professional areas required for the AfDB YPP?
The Bank seeks to recruit Young Professionals in specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to the Ten-Year Strategy (TYS); the five priority areas of the Bank (High 5s) and People strategy. The Hi-5s are captured below:
1. Light Up and Power Africa:
Power Systems Development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate Change and Green Growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy Statistics, Policy and Regulation (energy statistics), Renewable Energy (off grid energy access), Energy Partnerships (energy partnerships and stake-holders engagement, energy markets).
2. Feed Africa:
Agriculture & Agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production and sustainability), Agricultural finance & Rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
3. Integrate Africa:
Development Research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
4. Industrialize Africa:
Private Sector Development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
5. Improve the lives of the people of Africa:
Water, Human and Social development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
What is the duration of the AfDB YPP?
The AfDB YPP it’s a three-year programme and is classified as international status. As such, it attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
What is the weekly workload of the AfDB YPP?
The program is full-time. Selected candidates therefore work between 35 and 40 hours per week. Work on weekends may be required.
Where are the locations of the AfDB YPP?
The candidates should be able to live in Abidjan (Cote d’Ivoire) at the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require their services. HQ and country/field office (with inter-departmental rotation)
The AfDB YPP is an opportunity to develop a rewarding career as a future leader of the Bank. In this sense, there are possibilities of securing a regular staff position during the third year of the program, depending on the performance of the potential candidates throughout the three-year period.