When to apply for the UN Secretariat Internship Program?
Application deadlines vary depending on the openings and the needs of UN Secretariat units. Therefore, it is important search for internship opportunities through information on our website and social networking platforms.
How to apply for the UN Secretariat Internship Program?
The application process for a UN Secretariat internship is done via the UN Careers portal, where all openings are published. The application must be done on the Inspira Gateway and comprises the following steps:
- Search for internship openings;
- Register with the Inspira portal;
- Fill out the profile data;
- Fill out the application form.
What are the phases of the selection process for the UN Secretariat Internship?
The selection process may vary depending on the department or office to which the intern is applying, but generally comprises the following steps:
- Creating a profile and preparing an application;
- Submitting the application;
- Evaluation of the application;
- Competency-based interview;
- Selection notifications.
How is the UN Secretariat Internship interview?
Usually, only selected applicants will be contacted for the interview, which lasts about 30 minutes and may be done via Skype or phone. The main points covered in the interview vary according to the opening and department chosen. In general, however, the questions address subjective or behavioral aspects, such as your expectations about the job, your interests in the area of expertise you are applying for and your previous experiences.
What are the documents to submit for the UN Secretariat Internship?
The application process also requires you to submit a Cover Note/Letter and Personal History Profile (a kind of an online profile of applicants).
If you are accepted to take part in the internship program, you must submit the following documents:
- “Internship agreement for the United Nations,” signed by you;
- Proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan with coverage in the region of the office to which you have been allocated. You must also have a Medical Certificate of Good Health;
- Proof of enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program (at the time of application and during the internship);
- Entry and residence visa (depending on your nationality);
What is the evaluation criteria of the UN Secretariat Internship?
You will be evaluated regarding your previous experience, skills and competencies, and educational background.
Other information about the UN Secretariat Internship
It is important to submit your application in advance. Internship openings at UN Careers are removed from the portal at midnight of the deadline, New York time (GMT-5). You will not be able to modify your application after submission.