Are you interested in this opportunity and want to land the job? We can help you with that! Check out our online store! There you will find ebooks and services that will help you in this endeavor.
Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
Location: Korea (Republic of), Korea
Grade: Level not specified, Level not specified
Legal - Broad
Closing Date: 2019-11-02
Deputy General Counsel
Date: Oct 4, 2019
Korea (KOR), KR
Green Climate Fund
Grade: IS – 7
Deadline: 2 November 2019 (11:59 PM KST)
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has approved 102 projects and has committed USD 5.0 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Deputy General Counsel reports to the General Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) and will have responsibilty for the day to day functioning of the operations and institutional divisions in that office. While the General Counsel has the overall responsibility for OGC the Deputy General Counsel will oversee these two divisions ensuring that their respective functions and processes are streamlined ensuring that there is proper coordination between the OGC and its relevant internal and external boundary partners. The Deputy General Counsel will also ensure that suitable development programmes are developed and implemented to enhance and empower the professional and administrative staff in the OGC.
Duties and Responsibilities (Functional Statements defining the responsibilities and objectives).
Purpose (Lead and coordinate efforts)
- Leading coordinating and ensuring that the institutional and operational divisions adhere to their respective work programmes, thereby ensuring timely and quality delivery of their work products to their respective internal and external partners and the Board under the wider Secretariat Work Programme.
- Devising and implementing operational efficiencies in the two divisions in the Office of General Counsel to maximise productivity and managing relationships with internal boundary partners and external partners to enhance the reputation of the GCF.
- Assistance to the General Counsel thereby ensuring that all policies, rules and procedures in the Fund are adhered to and developed in a manner consistent the Governing Instrument and the strategic direction of the Board and Senior Management Team (SMT).
Engagement (Empower and Oversee)
- Advise the SMT and the Board in the absence of or at the request of the General Counsel on all matters requiring legal input advice and strategy.
- Constant and efficient consultations with all relevant divisions, thereby ensuring that there is effective guidance provided concerning their respective operational mandates consistent with legal requirements in the context of the work programme of the wider Secretariat.
Delivery ( Quality Assurance and timely delivery of work programme and assigments)
- Overseeing and managing the relationship between the respective institutional and project teams with their respective boundary partners so as ensure the efficient and timely delivery of tasks and completion of assignments including acceleration of the pace of delivery of privileges and immunities agreements by countries in which are members of the UNFCCC.
- Ensuring that appropriate knowledgment systems are in place in OGC. Overseeing the professional development programme for the OGC and ensuring that the programme is consistent with the long term and strategic objectives of the Secretariat and individual growth and development of OGC personel.
- Assisting and developing relationships with the legal departments of other international organisations as well as member countries of the UNFCCC with emphasis on expediting the delivery of privileges and immunities the GCF.
Juris Doctor LLB or equivalent law degree; qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction (additional LLM degree a plus);
A minimum of 15 years and relevant professional experience, of which at least eight years at an international level and managing a legal team a plus.
Strong professional knowledge of and relevant practioner experience in project finance, finance preferably with experience in climate or environmental finance;
Experience working in, or working with, developing countries; and
Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of anther United Nations language is an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
Are you interested in this opportunity and want to land the job? We can help you with that!
OpenIGO has helped dozens of professionals from all around the world to kick-start their international careers with intergovernmental organizations. Our high-qualified team of professionals and human resources specialists have put together a series of products and services to help make your dream come true!
On our online store, you will find comprehensive eBooks, mock interviews, application reviews, and other related services, which have been prepared for you with the utmost care! What are you waiting for? Get started on your international career now!